Monday 8 April 2013

Book Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hi there!
Today it's time for a little book review, this time about J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit.
The Hobbit is the prequel to the Lord Of The Rings series. The book has been adapted to a movie, or at least the first part of it. Here *click* I reviewed the movie when it came out.
The Hobbit basically tells the story of Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit, who experiences a great adventure when he goes out on a journey with some dwarves to the Lonely Mountain to claim their heritage. On their way there a lot of different things happen to them, and that's what the book tells.
I don't want to give anything away concerning the story and its details, I'd just like to tell you how it felt reading it.
First of all, the book was by far less detailed and descriptive than the movie. That hardly ever happens, but here it's the case. A lot of scenes were just very short and abbreviated, not going into detail. It often felt like the narrator was quite distant from the actual story. Feelings and thoughts don't really play a big role, and for me that means it's quite hard to feel along the characters. It is, however, still comprehensible.
All of the events were really creative and different and well thought-out, and I really liked that.
After all, I think this book is definitely worth a try, but don't expect it to be detailed. That's the main part that is bugging me about this one!
What do you think of this book?
xoxo, Misch

2 comments:

  1. I already read this book once, but few years ago, so I forgot, what is happening. I'm planning to read it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I know that, that I forget the plot of a story :D
      Yes, do that! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I am very happy about every single one. Please respect that I will not allow disrespectful or rude contents.